How to Get a Passport
For travel outside of the United States — including Canada and Mexico — you will need a U.S. Passport. Here is how to get one:
- Complete a Passport application form. You may complete an online form by clicking here (https://pptform.state.gov/) or download and print the application here (https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports.html).
- Present proof of U.S. citizenship. This is usually a certified birth certificate from the city, county, or state of your birth.
- Present proof of your identity. This is usually a current, valid driver’s license.
- Provide 1 passport photo. Click here for passport photo specifications. (http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/photos/photos.html)
- Pay the applicable fee.
- Apply in person at a local passport acceptance facility. Click here for a list of passport acceptance facilities (http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/).
The U.S. Department of State is responsible for issuing passports. Visit their official website (http://www.travel.state.gov/content/travel/english.html) and their official passport website (http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/apply.html) for complete details.